Crazy scary things are happening to me. Wait, I mean CRAZY AWESOME.

hahaha well in a way I suppose. O.K. so a few days ago I was sitting at my computer, and I decided to take a deep breath because I have asthma and I need to take a deep breath every few minutes.

So I took this deep breath and something snapped in my chest, and it hurt protrusively. I was pretty much writhing in pain. Well, I asked my parents, and they, being doctors, believed I had inhaled some particle from the atmosphere and it would eventually float out, and I would be fine. Well, over the course of the next few days, it was hurting much less, but I was unable to breath in deeply without extruciating pain, and, strangely enough, whenever I rolled onto my left side and curled my abdomen in a particular way, I could audibly hear a clicking that was cardiorythmic. Personally I thought it was pretty cool, but my parents garnered a bit of concern that I might have torn the lining my aorta or displaced the valves in my heart. They were EXTREMELY fearful that it was life threatening because certain other heart malfunctions can result in immediate death. As in drop-down-to-the-ground-dead immediate.
In their speculation, they thought I might have Marfan's syndrome or something similar, but they avoided waiting and scheduled me for an chest X-ray, a CT scan, and an ultrasound on my heart. :D

Earlier today my mom took me to the hospital to get this all done, and holy crap it was so neat. She's a doctor and therefore has special skills when it comes to hospitals, so we pretty much only had to wait about fifteen minutes in the waiting room to get my chest X-Ray. The X-ray room was huge, with the machine mounted in the center. It looked like a friggin laser gun. I stood up against this pad they had on the wall and the placed another one behind me to keep me steady when they fired the X-ray. I didn't feel anything when they activated it (well I didn't expect too) but it was so fascinating seeing the picture of my ribcage appear on the monitor. So they took two more from different angles and then let me back out into the hall way. And that was that.

So pretty much immediately after that, I went a few doors down the hall to get my echo cardiogram (an ultrasound on my heart) which was pretty dang cool as well. I took off my shirt and laid down on the table that had a small section beneath my chest that folded down underneath. Then they rubbed the ultrasound gel on the left side of my chest and began to move the ultrasound camera around. It was amazing. This blurry, but still distinct image of MY heart appeared on the screen, beating in real time. You could hear it too! They took at least one thousand snapshots of my heart and made me curl into weird positions to get different shots. So after they had taken pictures in every color imaginable, I put my shirt back on and my mom and I went to do a checkup with Dr. Patel the pulmonologist in the hospital building adjacent to the primary one.

What he had to say was pretty interesting; he said that I probably damaged my lung prior to breathing in deep and that I could have a hole in my lung and part of it could be collapsed. He asked me if I had done any sort of activity that would have put stress on my lungs, but I couldn't think of anything other than jogging up and down the stairs. He told me that it wasn't necessarily physical activity that puts stress on your lungs, but even things like riding a roller coaster. And then it hit me. I had ridden a roller coaster a week before I breathed in real deep! Andy, my mom, and I had gone to Santa Monica and ridden the roller coaster on the pier together. It turns out that when you hold your breath the air in your lungs has a lot of pressure put on it to escape, but instead it just stretches your lungs out. Since my lungs are weak, holding in my breath on the roller coaster probably inflamed part of my lung, and when I breathed in deep, it tore open a hole. and then I felt really dumb because the whole ordeal was actually my fault the entire time. hahaha. Dr. Patel is cool, he gave me some new purple and yellow inhalers for my asthma, and they're really awesome :)

It was then that I realized that she was seriously scared that I could die. I mean, well, it's kind of weird knowing your life is at risk, kind of an anxious feeling really, but I suppose my mild reaction means I'm not scared of death or something. Come to think of it, I don't think I am scared of death at all. Not that I would jump into a train or something, haha.

So we sat outside in front of the hospital for a while as we waited for the CT scan. The weather was awesome; I'm a Texan at heart so I'm an advocate for hot weather, and sitting outside was perfect because the hospital had been absolutely freezing. I hope you understand what I mean, it was just really comfortable to be in the sun then.

So I went back in to the hospital, amusingly almost, back the the same hallway as both the other tests had been conducted, and entered into, unbelievably, the CT room. My mom had to stay outside with my phone because the machine is so magnetic that it will not only erase the phone, but suck it out of your pocket and eat it alive. The CT scanner is basically this huge beige doughnut made of metal and plastic, complete with lights and control panels. It's unbelievable, really. The machine has a rotary camera that spins around the subject taking complete three dimensional pictures of all their innards by means of magnetic resonance. They had me lay down on this bed that was built in to the machine, and it slowly pulled me through the hole in the middle inch by inch. The camera was spinning around me incredibly fast; it just shows how accurate the three dimensional model of a subject is.

So after that I went home and facebooked about how interesting it all was. The results should be in by tomorrow or within the next week, so I promise to update whenever those come in. I'll be interested to know exactly what the problem is.